If you’ve actually built up to the DPC level and done filling, your next question would be “Should i apply hardcore too”?, well, if that is your question, i am not going to say “Yes”, i also am not here to say “No”, i will leave you with a better understanding of the importance of Hardcore in a building.
What is Hardcore
A Hardcore is a layer of a building immediately after filling. It comprises of stones, boulders as the case may be. Materials used in hardcore includes broken blocks, bricks, larger sides of granites, etc.
See Images Below
|Photo Credit: Google Image|
When Do I use Hardcore?
If you’ve built to DPC level, you may need to apply hardcore after filling up to a level almost the same with the last block on the wall. Hardcore is applied after filling the internal part of your foundation. This filling may be with laterite or sharp sand.
- Why is sand Added To Concrete?
- What is the Difference Between RC and RB Slabs?
- Materials for 3500 blocks
- Sand Filling Estimation
- How Much is a tiler paid In Nigeria
- Commercial Cleaning Companies in Dubai
- 5 Ways to make Money In Abuja
- Earn Big In Real Estate Business
- Mortar required to lay Blocks
- Calculate Materials for plastering
On filling, ramming may be used to compact the soil in order to avoid voids which may exist within the soil.
After ramming, it is then necessary to apply rods/wire mesh and comcrete.
You can see the image below for a better understanding of what is explained here…
|Photo Credit: Google Image|
Professionalism requires that a certain amount of space be allowed to contain the hardcore layer and this is accompanied by the space for concrete.
That however is for the books, but i will tell you here today that getting the thickness for hardcore is always difficult and may not be regarded as important as it is stressed in books, that however is as a result of crude methods of construction, experience of the builder and the settlement pattern of the natural soil as the case may be..
What are the Importance Of Hardcore In a Building?
For the importance of applying hardcore in a building, quickly read the following points as i believe they would explain better…
1. Hardcores are important for the stability of the foundation
2. It further adds strength or solidifies the base upon which the german concrete sits on. This means that it helps to resist pressure of dead and live loads on the ground floor as it helps transfer this to the foundation.
3. Hardcores provides a good base for buildings. It serves as a platform for the base of the building.
4. Application of hardcores helps to save cost.This is because the amount of cement and granite that would have been used for oversite concrete is reduced as stones or boulders are used to reduce the depth of void
5. Hardcores provide space for air. This exists between the hardcore system and serves as restriction to the movement of water.
6. Hardcores helps to shorten the time required for casting.This is so because the amount of concrete required to cast is totally reduced on addition of stones.
7.Hardcores are very important as they help protect the substructure (Foundation). It however saves cost of maintenance, underpinning in the future.
What is the Required Depth For Hardcore?
Specification for hardcores are usually 300mm or 30cm or 0.3m thick
This is followed by a 150mm thicklayer of oversite concrete and all of these rests on a very thick layer of earth filling.
Also note that hardcores are only necessary in the ground floor. It is not required in upper floors as the slab is the only hardcore requires above
Now you have learnt the meaning and importance of application of hardcore as it applies to your construction. I am hopeful of the fact that this has helped you understand something and so you can share with your friends by using any of the social media icons below this post.